Concentration Camp Update: The Imprisonment of Innocent Children

Date Put forth on January 17, 2007 by XicanoPwr
Category Posted in Civil Rights, Concentration Camp, Deportation, Human Rights, Immigration, Nativism, Raza, Round-ups

Back in April, Texas became home of Americas concentration camp when Williamson County’s T. Don Hutto Correctional Residential Center, a private detention facility in Taylor, Texas, became the newest facility for Homeland Security that would house “immigrants not from Mexico, but caught in Texas.” It was reported that around Christmas time, that T. Don Hutto Residential Center was housing 400 immigrants, and out those, 200 of them are children.

Fellow Houstonian and documentarian, Jesse Salmeron, has provided the a video on YouTube of [tag]Jay J. Johnson-Castro[/tag]’s Christmas Eve vigil outside the Texas’ Williamson County’s [tag]T. Don Hutto[/tag] Correctional…ummm….[tag]Residential Center[/tag]…..[tag]Concentration Camp[/tag]. (hat tip to Latina Lista)
YouTube Preview Image

According to Latina Lista also posted that Jay who did a protest walk from Laredo to Brownsville to protest the building of the Border Wall is planning to do another walk. However, this will be a historical event. There have been marches organized going from one city to city, but the march is planning to do, to my knowledge and research, has never never been done. Jay plans to do a historic 5,000 mile march in mid-February from San Diego, CA to the [tag]Hutto facility[/tag] in [tag]Taylor, TX[/tag]. He is also calling volunteers to join to protest the travesty that is occurring here in the Land of Free.

(1) opposed to the border wall, (2) if you are interested in putting and end to incarcerating women and children in prison camps on American soil?(3) if you?re interested in preventing the death toll that is as a result of failed immigration policies in this country?(4) some of, or (5) all of the above.

I will try to get in contact with Jay and post any information about this important and historic march.

Greg Moses of the Texas Civil Rights Review posted an email he received a couple of days ago on the current conditions at Hutto.

Many of you have probably heard that since the protests held in December, the [tag]Williamson County[/tag] Commissioners toured the T. Don Hutto Facility and certified as humane and decent. What you probably haven�t heard is that, probably as a result of the protests and related media attention, the conditions in the facility have changed. We know that the education, in particular, has received a major overhaul, and children are now receiving four hours of education a day, instead of just one hour. We also know that at least some of the detainees are reporting that the food has improved, at least a little bit.

The facility is planning a media tour in the not so distant future. If you have any media contacts who would be interested in this information, please make sure they inquire. We can anticipate the facility putting its best foot forward for the visit and it?s unlikely any of the reporters will be permitted to talk to [tag]detainees[/tag] during their tour.

It just seems the far right conservatives can’t even muster up any type of human empathy to even be burdened with the cruelty many immigrants must endure by Homeland Security and ICE. That is the part that makes me sad. There are even days, I ask myself why even bother to write about here or continue my blog because lately my heart has been aching in ways that are beyond words when I see the plight of our own who are easily targeted by our relentless play-or-die, rule-or-be-ruled society.

We must not let Jay’s march be forgotten and have it fall into America’s memory hole. It is people like Jay who have the dedication, the heart, and the desire to make things happen.

As we look ahead, we need to examine ourselves. How can we just sit back and wash our hands of any personal responsibility for the conditions which oppress the masses – the working poor and the unemployed – and favors the rich and powerful.

What has happened to the right of all people to live in minimally decent surroundings, with enough food to keep from starving, enough clothing to stay warm?

What has happened to the right of people everywhere to have adequate health care-the right not to have to suffer or die from relatively minor care which those with money overcome with the snap of a finger?

Let’s make history together. Let’s join Jay in his historical march to end this nightmare. ¡Hasta la Victoria Siempre, amig@s!

Tags | |
functional

3 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. odd ¡Para Justicia y Libertad! » Conspiracy of Silence Trackback on Jan 23rd, 2007 at 12:39 pm
  2. even appletree » Blog Archive » Thursday Links: Hurried Edition Trackback on Jun 26th, 2007 at 7:28 am
  3. odd FBI hate crimes report: disturbing trends against Hispanics and gays | Clarksville, TN Online Trackback on Dec 3rd, 2007 at 1:02 am

10 Comments

You can follow any responses to this entry through the Feed Comments (RSS) feed.

1. Gravatar Icon TXsharon Jan 17th, 2007 at 1:17 pm

Keep up the good work. You are making a difference. Keep educating the people.

2. Gravatar Icon Professor Zero Jan 17th, 2007 at 5:24 pm

What TXsharon said. People really do not know much about this, and it is not that easy to find out.

3. Gravatar Icon Len Jan 18th, 2007 at 4:21 pm

Corrections Corporation of America is turning a profit on imprisoning children for the crime of being refugees. I guess this shows what political asylum in America is worth, no?

Never forget to bring up CCA and the profit motive, though. Imprisoning innocent children for profit is one meme that might break through peoples’ consciousness and make them sit up and take notice. Shove peoples’ noses in the fact that some corporation makes money by imprisoning refugees for the crime of believing this nonsense:

Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

You might also want to point out that nearly all of this Tennessee corporation’s top executives donate generously to Republican politicians — to the tune of almost $50,000 since 2000.
    Cite: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5

Keep banging the drum.

4. Gravatar Icon Nezua Limón Xolografik-Jonez Jan 19th, 2007 at 8:08 am

man do i know how you feel. here we are, all happytypers and proud and “activists” while poor, hunted people—our kindred—are just trying to feed themselves and suffering real consequences. we get to feel empowered and as if we are doing something….and they don’t even have computers, and now sit in jail. it gets to me, too.

and Len: great point.

5. Gravatar Icon XicanoPwr Jan 19th, 2007 at 1:33 pm

When you see somebody like Jay who is willing to walk 5,000 miles….gives the spark of hope and the energy not to fall asleep again.

6. Gravatar Icon Charles Jan 22nd, 2007 at 7:14 pm

Flashpoints is following the story.

Little kids IN JAIL!?!

yeesh

7. Gravatar Icon XicanoPwr Jan 23rd, 2007 at 8:48 am

Thanks Len for that information, it is very eye opening on who they founded, which I ended up using on my recent post.

Thanks Charles for the heads ups, it is sad that there is very little coverage by the corporate media, but not surprising.

8. Gravatar Icon barbara bordeaux Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:44 pm

9. Gravatar Icon barbara bordeaux Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:45 pm

i had my children taken away from by the BIA and know they will not return them back to me and i hgave not seen my children in 8 months so i ask if there is someone out there who can help me i am very terrified that BIA has kidnapped my children from me? please contact me by e-mail or by phone 1-605-208-0155 for further detail! well i have never said this before?

10. Gravatar Icon Cynthia Oct 5th, 2008 at 10:30 pm

keep up the good work…you have to get out there, especially on the net and speak up against this kind of nonsense and bigotry regardless of how loud they yell at you…irritating them reveals their true bigotry and thoughts because they forget what they are saying.

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.

Bear